Saturday, May 27, 2006

I am adding the Tribute my brother wrote that was read at my Grandmothers Funeral. If you didn't know her, his words were right on. My grandparents loved to sit on the porch, now that is our porch and we will be enjoying it as much as them.



I remember sitting on the front porch swing in the early summer evenings. I was probably 6 or 7 years old, although I could have been 15 or 20 years old. As I recall, Locust street was always filled with carefree and playful children, kind and trusted neighbors and young mothers and fathers new to the neighborhood and just beginning their new journey into parenthood.

As I remember back, it seemed that Gram and Pap’s front porch was the center of the universe. Where every child, neighbor or young couple would stop by for a friendly word, a funny story or some kind of advice.

These are my fondest memories; spending time with my grandparents, family and friends on that front porch. Gram and pap loved that front porch, but more importantly of what that front porch symbolized, it was a lifetime of family and friendships, laughter and tears, a lifetime of shared moments.

It is hard to separate the lives of my grandparents, Betty Mae Cox and Delmas Arlen Cox. They were soul mates that experienced, lived and loved life’s most beautiful moments together, shared in life’s hardships and looked optimistically at the future of their 3 grandchildren and their families.

Betty Mae Felter Cox was a ……
Daughter, sister, wife, mother, grandmother and friend. Betty was all these and yet so much more. Take a look around the room today, this is the fruit of her long, loving and beautiful life. A life of Living, loving crying ,smiling and laughing.

We are all here today to mourn the passing of this beautiful soul. We will all cry today. But for me it is one of life’s defining moments. While I will cry, I will also realize that it is O.K. It is O.K because as I look around me I see my grandmothers 3 children, 3 grandchildren and Beautiful great Grand Daughter. From her came so many lives and dreams.

I am o.k., because today I am sitting on that front porch reliving those memories, the stories and the Love. And I know Gram is too.

Written by Robert C Cox

Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother; she sounds like she was such a wondering, caring person. I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Hope the moving goes well...I know how stressful that can be trying to get boxes unpacked!

Gardeningram said...

What a wonderful tribute. That is one of diffucult parts when I think about moving out of this house--leaving the memories. But thanks to your brother, he reminded me that memeories cannot be left behind, those you take with you. We will many many boxes of memories when we make this move.

Take some time for you during this move. Give Shaylee hugs and kisses from us.

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

I find some information here.